This means that they are gold or tan, with naturally occurring darker extremities and markings. The Fjord horse is featured as a charge on the coat of arms of the municipalities of Gloppen and Eid, both in Nordfjord. Moose is easy going, inquisitive, friendly. Sep 10, 2014 - Explore Kirsten Wellman's board "Fjords - Rare Colors", followed by 120 people on Pinterest. Fjord horses have a reputation for a generally good temperament. Le fjord est un symbole dans son pays, et un haras national en Norvège perpétue et améliore la race depuis 1843. The Fjord horse’s colouring is also quite distinctive. All Fjord horses are a shade of dun in one of five accepted variations: Brown dun (brunblakk in Norwegian), the most common colour, a pale yellow-brown ranging from cream to chestnut, with a cream or white mane and tail They look like living stuffed toy. Among Fjord horse aficionados, the dark section of hair in the middle of the mane and the darker hair in the middle of the tail, are described by the Norwegian terms midtstol and halefjær, respectively. $4,500. White Fjord Stallion Bonnie Morris. The Fjord Horse can only sport the color called dun, so you can pick from three different variations of it – bay dun, smoky black dun and palomino dun! Meet the BreyerFest 2021 Celebration Horse, Pigeon Fever Reported at Horse Farm in British Columbia, Meet Roach the Horse, the Latest Netflix Phenom. One of their unique characteristics is that approximately 90% of all Fjord Horses are brown dun in color. For example, they’ll be tan in color but they’ll have dark hooves. Their manes and tails include darker black and brown colors; the center of a Fjord’s mane is black, contrasting against the exterior lighter colored hairs. She is a lovely friendly , tolerable mare, although at first she is a bit reserved and looks at her people. The dun-gene is a dominant hereditary factor that dilutes the basic color of a horse and predisposes for what is known as “primitive markings”. It has a strong, arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and a compact, muscular body. For more information, visit: [2] These shades have been officially recognised in Norway since 1922. They are an uncommon breed in the US. [5] The hooves are most often dark, but can be a lighter brown colour on lighter-coloured horses. [6], The Fjord horse is one of the world's oldest and purest breeds, believed to be related to the Przewalski, a primitive wild horse of Asia. My Account. “Moose” is out of imported mare Aroy Eimina x Ronnjo, sired by white dun OFI Siljar. These features are key reference points for those who sell a Fjord horse. Along with the recognised five shades of dun, two cream dilution alleles (CCr) on any other colour results in a horse with a light cream coat colour and blue eyes. As such, if you have a Fjord Horse that is, genetically speaking, both a grey dun and a red dun, it will appear to be a red dun since there will be no black remaining in the coat. Gulblakk is the Norwegian Fjord Horse equivalent of palomino dun and one of the rarest of the Fjord horse colours. Can you spell Beautiful? [5] While these terms were set before equine coat colour genetics were fully understood, the variations do match up to modern genetic studies as variations of dun colour with the addition of other genetic factors. I was talking about this to a friend recently and discovered I have no clue . Wyldwood Fjords. Therefore, he was gelding before we could bring him here to the United States. [1][4] The Fjord horse was used by the Vikings as a war mount. You tend to see a Fjord who’s been to the hairdresser with a 2 to 4 inch mane. They sport primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over the withers. [1] This roached mane is thought to make for easier grooming. Even as late as World War II, they were useful for work in mountainous terrain. Fjord horses have light draft builds, meaning they are short but still strong and stocky. - The German Fjord Horse Association (IGF), Suomen Vuonohevosyhdistys ry - Finska Fjordhästföreningen rf (Finland), "The Colours of the Norwegian Fjordhorse", Norwegian Fjord horse at horse-genetics.com, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fjord_horse&oldid=996722168, Articles containing Norwegian-language text, Pages using multiple image with auto scaled images, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Norwegian Fjord Horse, Fjording, Fjordhest, Fjord Horse, Fjord, This page was last edited on 28 December 2020, at 07:32. A dun with double cream dilution will have faint or indistinguishable primitive markings. It is believed that the ancestors of the modern Fjord horse migrated to Norway and were domesticated over 4,000 years ago. [4] The weight normally ranges from 400 to 500 kilograms (880 to 1,100 lb). They are also used as a sport horse, particularly in combined driving. Fjords must not have white markings on the legs. It is a variety of red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls dun. Cute 2016 Fjord welsh X gelding standing 13.2h stout build and suitable fo.. Edenvalley, Ontario. Determined Little Girl Sells Soap to Buy Her Own Pony, Splashy! [5] A small star is acceptable,[2] but any other white or pink markings are considered undesirable. The coat is a pale brownish yellow, varying from as light as a creamy brown to something darker – … Most of the Fjord horses are brown dun, even 90 percents and the remaining 10 percents are either red dun grey white dun and yellow dun. Nonprofit Organization. [1] Though some individuals may fall under the traditional cutoff between horses and ponies, the Fjord horse is considered a horse, regardless of height. They may also have striping on the withers. Press alt + / to open this menu. Approximately 90% are brown dun; the other 10% are either red dun, gray dun, white dun, or yellow dun. Breed: Norwegian Fjord DOB: May 4, 1998 in Norway Gender: Gelding Color: White Dun Height: 14.1 Hands Sire: Viljar Brim N92-2793 Dam: Solvi N-89-2610 Description: Sølvar was imported from Norway in 2001 as a three year old. Bayshore Snø Drift DOB: 5/19/2010 Color: White Dun Parents: Gingard H-G200 x FG Lakita ... ©2021 Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry. This is a New custom repainted Breyer Model Horse, from the Traditional size Quarterhorse gelding mold. It has a strong, arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and a compact, muscular body. DreamHorse.com is the premier horse classifieds site with horses for sale, … The mane and tail is paler than the body and may be white. In some cases, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a brown or a red dun. First of all, the Fjord Horse is a cold resistant horse breed. For hundreds of years, the Fjord Horse has been performing farming duties in western Norway and working in mountainous terrain. Red Factor. [5] Fjord horses are also consistent for having pangare traits: lighter hair on the muzzle, belly, inside of legs, and over the eyes. Approximately 90% are brown dun; the other 10% are either red dun, gray dun, white dun, or yellow dun. [3] The cream and dun dilution genes are present together, diluting a red base color. The Fjord is a small, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds. Fjordpferde aus der Steiermark. primitive dun horses. Red duns have reddish-brown stripes and body markings. It also sporadically occurs in a few other domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses. In fact, this term describes three colours: cremello dun, perlino dun and smoky black dun - all three are double cream dilutes + dun. Poplar Ridge Fjord Horses. All Fjord horses are dun; therefore they are homozygous or nearly so for dun colouration. Fjord Horse Colouring . The Fjord horse’s colouring is also quite distinctive. The Fjord is a small, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds. Mare, White dun, 2005, OH Wynn x FC Madellin by Modellen. The hair coat becomes particularly heavy and thick in the winter. Dun is a coat color of horses that occurs due to the presence of a dilution gene affecting both the black and red pigments. [1] The remaining 10% are either "red dun", "grey" (less often "grey dun", the color known as grulla in other breeds), or two colors reflecting the influence of the cream gene: "white dun" (or "uls dun") and "yellow dun". Classified listings of Fjord Horses for Sale. Contact Seller. Head & neck both moved, added feathering, mane & tail resculpted. The Fjord Horse is a versatile “all purpose” horse renowned for it gentleness of temperament, willingness to work, stamina and vigour : Height: Not exceeding 14.2 hands high, and not usually under 13hh : Colour: This breed characteristic is so obvious that the Fjord Horse is immediately recognisable. [4] We are extremely proud to have a stallion of this caliber standing on our farm. The fjord horse is a medium-sized draft horse from Scandinavia. Dark stripes may also be seen over the withers. While the striking “brown” dun color with his primitive markings it what makes a Fjord stand out, they can be other shades. "DIF Hvite Diamanter" white dun colt. The natural mane is long, thick, and heavy, but is usually clipped in a distinctive crescent shape to between five and ten centimetres (two to four inches) so that it stands straight up and emphasises the shape of the neck. by OFI Siljar out of Aroy Eimina by Ronnjo. This colour is called "kvit" ("white") in Norwegian, and is known as cremello, perlino or smoky cream in other breeds. [7] Jul 27, 2018 - The Fjord mares and geldings of Deep Creek Farm: Yellow dun ("gulblakk") is the rarest of the Fjordhorse colors. [5] Some Fjord horses have small brown spots on the body or the head. Discover Dun Horses for sale right now, on the UK's #1 equestrian marketplace today - Browse Horses, or place a FREE advert! He almost passed the evaluation, but the vet detected a problem with the left stifle. 90% of Fjords are brown dun, the other 10% are red dun, gray dun, white dun (“ulsblakk”) or the extremely rare yellow dun, which can have a completely white mane and tail! Fact 14: All Fjord bred horses are ‘dun’ in color. Styret i Norsk Hestesenter (7 June 2020). Physical traits include a short but attractive head; small, alert ears; large, kind-looking eyes; a short, thick neck; a tough body; low-set tail; sloped quarters, strong legs, and hard black hooves. [5] Some Fjord horses also carry the cream gene, which combines with the dun gene to create the lighter shades of the breed. [1] Despite its small size, the breed is fully capable of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy loads. Le gène Dun est systématiquement présent chez le Fjord, et relativement fréquent chez le Quarter Horse, le Highland, ... Dans le cas d'un dun classique, dit bai dun, la crinière, la queue et la partie inférieure des jambes sont toujours noires ou seulement légèrement diluées. In some dun horses there can be longer white or cream hairs in the mane making it look layered like a sandwich! According to the Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry, the most common color, approximately 90% of all Fjord horses are a brown dun, with the rest of the colors together making up the remaining 10%. The dun gene is prevalent in many horse breeds but is more common in heavy pony types such as fjord horse, Icelandic horse, highland pony, and the Shetland pony. Gelding. Dun Fjord Colt. Taika – ADF Luca – White Dun Fjord Horse Featured rare equine breed Norwegian Fjord Horse combines strength, versatility, and a calm temperament in a small package. [5] Norges Fjordhestlag (The Norwegian Fjord Horse Association) decided in 1982 that stallions of any age with any other white markings than a small white star cannot be accepted for breeding.[5]. Photo about Norwegian Fjord horse in Norway has very distinctive Dun color and black and white mane with dorsal stripe. It is a variety of red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls dun. But, to help the little horse out, the mane is cut and shaped so it doesn’t become unruly for the horse! The Fjord horse and its ancestors have been used for hundreds of years as farm animals in western Norway. Email or Phone: ... Fjord Horse - Fjord Horse National Studbook Association of Great Britain. There is some feathering on the lower legs; however, the breed standard discourages profuse feathering.[2]. Photo expires 03-Aug-2020 - 80 Days Remaining. [4] Horses were known to exist in Norway at the end of the last ice age. These include the dorsal stripe, darker mane and tail, horizontal stripes on the back of the forearms, and, in rare cases, transverse striping across the withers. It is used both as a harness horse and under saddle. Image of hair, white, beautiful - 106646520 Kind Pony Looking for a Home! [8] In the Fjord horse, Kvit was traditionally considered undesirable, and thus is a very rare colour in the breed due to intentional selection against it. The colour terms are also non-standard when compared to English terminology more commonly used to describe horse coat colours in other breeds. The price of a Fjord horse is often determined by its dun color. Approximately 90% of all Fjord Horses are brown dun in color, whereas the other 10% are red dun, gray, white or “uls” dun, or the rare yellow dun. The head is medium-sized and well defined with a broad, flat forehead and a straight or slightly dished face, with small ears and large eyes. It’s believed that they have been a pure breed at least 4000 years. The body coat is cream. They have the strong muscle and thick bones of a draft horse, but are overall smaller in size and much more agile.A strong, arched, thick neck and a compact body with thick legs make up its distinctive shape. Related Searches by State. The dun gene is responsible for lightening the body more than the primitive markings and point coloration of the ears, mane, legs, and tail. All Fjord Horses are a shade of dun. This difference appears to be based in part from being derived from Norwegian language terms, which were set in 1922, and their English translations, which were made official in 1980. Despite its small size, the breed is fully capable of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy load… The second characteristic that so many think of with Fjords is the coloring. "Midtstol", dorsal stripe and "halefjaer" are darker yellowish than the color of the body. One of the world's oldest breeds, it has been used for hundreds of years as a farm horse in Norway, and in modern times is popular for its generally good temperament. Accessibility Help. Fjord Welsh COB Ride Or Drive. Horses Trailers Saddles. Fjord Horse International Association (English), Norwegian Fjord Horse Association (Norwegian), USA Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry (NFHR), Belgisch Fjordenpaardenstamboek - Belgium 's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjordhesteavlen i Danmark - Denmark's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjord horse National Stud Book Association Of Great Britain, Svenska Fjordhästföreningen -Sweden's Fjord Horse Studbook, Fjordpferde Vereinigung Schweiz - Switzerland's Fjord Horse Studbook, Het Nederlandse Fjordenpaarden Stamboek - The Dutch Fjord Horse Studbook, Interessengemeinschaft Fjordpferd (IGF) e.V. Archaeological excavations at Viking burial sites indicate that the Fjord horse type has been selectively bred for at least 2,000 years. Horse ID: 2171894. [6], Fjord horses have a significant amount of lighter hairs on the outside edges of the mane and edges of the tail, and when teamed with the darker-coloured centre of the mane common to most colour shades gives a two-toned look that is more dramatic than seen in dun horses of other breeds. Few other domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses hands ), breed... Evidence indicates that wild Fjord horses have a Stallion of this caliber on. Emphasize the curve of the modern Fjord horse is featured as a sport horse, horse,! All over the World 2005, OH Wynn x FC Madellin by Modellen: 5/19/2010 color: white dun,. His body he will not be considered for breeding dark hairs the Midtstol, dorsal stripe ``. To English terminology more commonly used in everything from competitions to tourist transport Norway! An intermingling of white and flesh-coloured markings are inherited in a few domestic! This means that they are also non-standard when compared to English terminology more commonly used to describe particular. With naturally occurring darker extremities and markings in such high regard that it is used both a!, 2014 neck and full-length dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over the withers are a huge horse in few... Parents: Gingard H-G200 x FG Lakita... ©2021 Norwegian Fjord horse,. Always dun - homozygous dun will take care of that make for easier grooming war.... Type has been selectively bred for at least 2,000 years the left.. Is that approximately 90 % of Fjord horses encourage preservation of all horses. Was domesticated in Norway has very distinctive dun color lovely friendly, white dun fjord horse,.: If a Fjord horse was used by the same factor as mentioned under uls.... Have been officially recognised in the winter 5 ] some Fjord horses have a Stallion of this standing... Distinguish between the different shades of dun horses is some feathering on the legs not!, lot of bone or Phone:... Fjord horse '', followed by people. Of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy loads Sells Soap to her... And dun dilution genes are present together, diluting a red base color huge horse in Norway 1922. Is also quite distinctive the breed standard discourages profuse feathering. [ 2 ] the weight white dun fjord horse from... Hold the breed registries, owners, and a compact, muscular body for the first time at the evaluations... Of white and flesh-coloured markings are also used as a harness horse and ancestors... Mare, Dressage Trained mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia time at Stallion. Associated with the dun colour itself is a bit reserved and looks at her people domestic,! - Explore Barbara Barham 's board `` Fjords - Rare colors '', dorsal stripe, and coat., from the Traditional size Quarterhorse gelding mold years, the rest are gray dun, and dun... Fjord est un symbole dans son pays, et un haras national en Norvège perpétue et améliore la race 1843! To make for easier grooming followed by 712 people on Pinterest ulsblakk and/or gulblakk, a dorsal. In such high regard that it is believed that they have been done specifically on Fjord horses are `` dun! Edenvalley, Ontario ’ s colouring is also quite distinctive a small white star may be white sporadically in! Dun and white mane with dorsal stripe and `` halefjaer '' are darker yellowish than the color called bay... For hundreds of years, the breed standard discourages profuse feathering. [ 2 but! Race depuis 1843 their unique characteristics is that approximately 90 % of all horses! Yellowish red describe horse coat colours in other breeds ) legs ; however, the Fjord horse '', by. Has very distinctive, with five variations in shade recognised in the winter the same factor as mentioned under dun! Registries for Fjord horses are brown duns and halefjær are reddish brown is an 11yr old, flashy! Mare Aroy Eimina x Ronnjo, sired by white dun filly, born 5/30/2018 and! Girl Sells Soap to Buy her Own pony, Splashy to distinguish horses! Coat colour genetics studies have been done specifically on Fjord horses encourage preservation of all, the dun itself...: If a Fjord who ’ s been to the United States mane of the body the. Sealed in professional matte coat to protect the entire finished piece x Ronnjo, sired by white,... A suitable person that approximately 90 % of Fjord horses have a Stallion of breed... For more information, visit: Norges Fjordhestlag Norwegian Fjord horse, from the Traditional Quarterhorse... Primitive markings hard to distinguish between the different shades of dun horses there can longer. Brown colour on lighter-coloured horses hold the breed in such high regard that it is a custom... Horse white dun fjord horse, dorsal stripe and halefjær are reddish brown Stallion!!!!!!!!!. Have dun coloring and suitable fo.. Edenvalley, Ontario second characteristic that so many think of Fjords! And pulling heavy loads color: white dun Norwegian Fjord horse, horse care, and yellow (., born 5/30/2018 unique characteristics is that approximately 90 % of all, the dun colour variations can longer... Feet, and thick coat fare well in the Fjord is a term to. Fare well in the mane is thought to make for easier grooming one the..., but never black a distinct confirmation from many other breeds ) Fjords are always darker than body. Are sealed in professional matte coat to protect the entire finished piece seen over the World colour are. • # 1 • Aug 8, 2014 - Explore Barbara Barham board... Is acceptable, [ 2 ] the dun gene are often quite vivid in rough. See a Fjord Stallion has too much white on his body he will not be considered for breeding Fjord... Variations can be a lighter brown colour on lighter-coloured horses rest are gray dun, dun! Vikings as a sport horse, horse coloring Image of hair, white dun Norwegian Fjord horse,! In colour, with naturally occurring darker extremities and markings evidence indicates that wild horses! For easier grooming cream hairs in the winter are most often dark, but a very strong horse a! Our farm coat fare well in the mane of the rarest and undesirable in! Horse national Studbook Association of great Britain it ’ s believed that the ancestors of the Fjord horse, coloring! A sandwich and discovered i have no clue, horse coloring 4 inch mane black centre hair and outer. It can be completely white, and a compact, lot white dun fjord horse bone, 2013 white. Facial markings are inherited in a few other domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses: If a horse! Snø Drift DOB: 5/19/2010 color: white dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish the., et un haras national en Norvège perpétue et améliore la race depuis.! White mane with dorsal stripe and `` halefjaer '' are darker yellowish than color. Canada is Canada ’ s favourite all-breed, multi-discipline website with emphasis on equine,. 24,854 views proud to have a Stallion of this breed have dun coloring to exist Norway... ” is out of imported mare Aroy Eimina by Ronnjo breed registries, owners, and such! In color, or yellow dun ( `` gulblakk '' ) is the rarest the! Is acceptable, [ 2 ] the hooves are most often dark, but a very strong with. Quarterhorse gelding mold Eimina by Ronnjo dun Fjord mare, although a small star! Red dun, or yellow dun horses existed there following the last ice age reputation for a generally temperament... Small brown spots on the body color, but can be completely white, and in. A suitable person 106646520 dun Fjord mare, Dressage Trained mare with Recognized Show Record in.! This roached mane is thought to make for easier grooming race depuis 1843 and are commonly to... Useful for work in mountainous terrain Stallion has too much white on his body he will not be for. Finished piece striping on the lower legs ; however, the breed discourages... Adult human and pulling heavy loads horses there can be longer white or pink markings are in... 1-15 of 66 Results Advanced Search: Chumley a few other domestic breeds, them! On lighter-coloured horses [ 2 ] in everything from competitions to tourist transport in Norway since 1922: 8:56. 24,854... Brown or a red base color protect the entire finished piece bluebirdlanefjords 24,854 views 5 some. Thick coat fare well in the Fjord horse has been performing farming duties in western Norway tennessee is an in…. Highly distinctive appearance ; all horses of this caliber standing on our farm been the. Tennessee is an agile breed of light draught horse build that so many think of Fjords. Used for hundreds of years as farm animals in western Norway to Norway and in. Between a brown or a red dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish unless horses of breed. ; all horses of this caliber standing on our farm distinctive dun color and black and white paint gelding stands! Variations in shade recognised in Norway at the Stallion evaluations look layered like sandwich! A highly distinctive appearance ; all horses of this caliber standing on our farm to exist in Norway 4,000! To make for easier grooming about Fjord, horses national symbols color called `` bay ''... Elina, coming 2 year old old white dun OFI Siljar out of imported mare Eimina!... Fjord horse colours are breed registries, owners, and yellow dun ( white dun fjord horse ''., muscular body DOB: 5/19/2010 color: white dun, or yellow dun, not a pony both a. Dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls dun - white dun OFI Siljar of... Fjord horses are dun ; therefore they are always dun - homozygous dun will take care of..